Greystone Books and Heritage Group Distribution are hiring an Accountant.
This full-time position will be located in Vancouver BC working directly with Greystone Books Ltd., a leading Canadian book publisher. The position will work in the Greystone Vancouver office, with periodic travel to Heritage Group office in Surrey for finance and accounting meetings.
Reporting to the company Controller and the CEO of Greystone Books, the accountant will be responsible for full cycle accounting and day-to-day financial transactions for Greystone Books Ltd.
Candidates must be adaptable to the varying requirements of the position and be comfortable working both independently and as part of a team. The successful candidate will be a self starter who is detail oriented, conscientious, and a good communicator with strong written and verbal skills.
Key accountabilities will include:
- Performing reconciliations of bank accounts, credit cards, accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Accounts Payable
- Accounts Receivable, including invoice generation and receipts
- Generating Accounts Receivable statements and follow up with customers
- Maintaining Rights records and Rights sales
- Maintaining Author Royalty records including entering Royalty contracts
- Issuing Author Advances and maintaining Advance Management Systems
- Preparing royalty reports, royalty statements and issuing royalty payments
- Grant and Subsidy management
- GST Returns
- Completion of routine account analysis and accounting assignments as required
- Filing and other administrative duties as required
- Preparing Monthly, Quarterly and One-Off Management Reports
Experience and Education:
- Completed a post-secondary education majoring in Accounting or Finance.
- Minimum of 3 years of hands-on, in-depth bookkeeping and accounting experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office computer programs (Outlook, Excel and Word)
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize workload and the flexibility to manage multiple tasks.
- High attention to detail
- Simply Accounting experience is an asset.
- Acumen experience is an asset.
- Experience with intellectual property accounting is an asset.
Greystone Books is an independently owned trade book publisher that focuses on high-quality non-fiction books that appeal to regional, national, and international readers. Greystone is a leading publisher of books about nature and the environment, travel and adventure, sports, social issues, science, and health, as well as books that are exceptional literary expressions of personal passions. More than half of the books originated by Greystone sell overseas, and licensed editions are sold in many countries and languages. In fall 2019, Greystone Books launched Greystone Kids, an imprint focusing on children’s picture books and middle-reader non-fiction. www.greystonebooks.com
HGD | Heritage Group Distribution is a leading book publishing services company located in the Port Kells area of Surrey / Langley, BC. We specialize in providing comprehensive sales, marketing, administrative, accounting and wholesale distribution services on behalf of our publishing partners.
We sell and distribute to the traditional book trade, as well as to nontraditional markets from specialty and tourism locales to large outlet retailers and wholesalers nationwide. As well, HGD distributes to all major online retailers and partners with established distributors in the US, UK and Europe.
We understand the value of good employees and we compensate fairly. Each candidate will be evaluated individually based on skills and experience. When responding to our posting for this position, please provide your salary expectation.
Greystone Books is committed to a policy of inclusivity in its hiring practices. Greystone is also committed to operating with as small an environmental footprint as possible.
Application deadline is August 31, 2023.