tâpwê êkwa mamâhtâwastotin
- ISBN: 9781778400247
- Tags: Buffy Sainte-Marie, Buffy Sainte-Marie and Michelle Alynn Clement, Children's Books, Children's Picture Book, Picture Books,
- Dimensions: 6 x 8
- Published On: 06/07/2022
- 144 Pages
The Cree Edition of Tâpwê and the Magic Hat
Available June 7, 2022!
From beloved Indigenous icon Buffy Sainte-Marie comes a chapter book inspired by oral histories and traditions. On a prairie reserve, Tâpwê receives a mysterious gift from Kokhom (grandma)—and finds himself on an unforgettable adventure.
Tâpwê can’t wait to spend a week with his cousins on the other side of the Cree reserve—especially since Kokhom, his grandma, has given him the most amazing gift: a Magic Hat with bluebirds and grass snakes that come to life! Tâpwê is so excited that he soon forgets Kokhom’s advice: Watch out for tricksters!
Tâpwê’s adventure is everything he imagined. He meets his cousins, takes part in a powwow, and sleeps in a tipi. But soon he’s reminded of Kokhom’s words. Is his new friend Wâpos leading him astray with mischief?
Tâpwê and the Magic Hat draws on a rich Indigenous tradition of storytelling and features:
- A memorable cast of characters from both imagination and legend.
- A glossary and pronunciation guide of Cree words used in the book.
- A note to parents and teachers from Buffy Sainte-Marie about trickster stories.
- An important message for young readers about being yourself, and learning to dance to the beat of your own heart.
- Features black and white illustrations throughout.
Buffy Sainte-Marie is a world-renowned and Academy Award-winning Cree singer-songwriter, activist, educator, and visual artist. Her picture books for kids include Hey LIttle Rockabye, illustrated by Ben Hodson,and (forthcoming) Still This Love Goes On And On, illustrated by Julie Flett.