I's the B'y
The Beloved Newfoundland Folk Song
- ISBN: 9781771648332
- Tags: Children's Books, Lauren Soloy, Picture Books,
- Dimensions: 9 x 9
- Published On: 05/31/2022
- 48 Pages
Available May 31, 2022!
For kids who love to sing and dance: this vibrant picture book shares lyrics from a classic folk song about community, culture, and the seaside.
- Rhyming lyrics are easy to read and memorize and fun for the whole family.
- Perfect for kids aged 3 to 8 who love dancing, singing, and the ocean.
- The history of this famous ballad is explored in vivid illustrations!
I’s the b’y that builds the boat,
And I’s the b’y that sails her!
I’s the b’y that catches the fish
And takes ’em home to Liza.
“I’s the B’y” is a decades-old folk song that originated in Newfoundland but has been sung and danced to the world over. In this gorgeous picture book, Maritime artist and children’s writer Lauren Soloy honors the song and its birthplace with rich, captivating illustrations of bobbing boats, leaping humpback whales, violin-playing fish, dancing people, starry skies, and stormy seas. Full of undeniable energy and joy, this spirited picture book will have kids singing, dancing, and learning all about Newfoundland.
- Sheet music so budding musicians can play along.
- A note from illustrator Lauren Soloy about the fascinating history of “I’s the B’y,” its distinctive words and phrases, and life in modern-day Newfoundland.
Lauren Soloy is an author and illustrator whose books include When Emily was Small and Etty Darwin and the Four Pebble Problem. She lives in a 140-year-old house in the wilds of Nova Scotia with her librarian husband, two curious children, an ever-expanding collection of books, two beehives, and one cat.