Prairie: Revised Edition
A Natural History of the Heart of North America
- ISBN: 9781771645942
- Tags: Candace Savage, History, Nature & Environment,
A textual edition of Candace Savage’s acclaimed and beautifully written guide to the ecology of the prairies, now revised and updated.
This revised edition of Prairie features a new preface along with updated research on the effects of climate change on an increasingly vulnerable landscape. It also offers new information on:
• conservation of threatened species, including the black-tailed prairie dog;
• grassland loss and conservation;
• the health of rivers and the water table;
• the effects of neonicotinoid insecticides on prairie wetlands;
• the benefits of regenerative agriculture.
Illustrated with elegant black-and-white line drawings and color maps, this award-winning tome continues to be a highly readable guide to understanding the ecology, geological history, biodiversity, and resilience of the prairies.
Published in partnership with the David Suzuki Foundation.
Candace Savage is the author of more than two dozen books, including Strangers in the House, Hello, Crow!, and A Geography of Blood, which won the Hilary Weston Writers’ Trust Prize for Nonfiction. She divides her time between homes in Eastend and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
“Savage shares her enthusiasm for her subject as easily as she shares facts about prairie ecosystems.” — Publishers Weekly
“Impelled with its sense of the miraculous in nature.” — Globe and Mail
“Lyrical prose, and impeccable research.” — Montana Outdoors