Tâpwê and the Magic Hat
- ISBN: 9781771645461
- Tags: Buffy Sainte-Marie, Buffy Sainte-Marie and Michelle Alynn Clement, Children's Books, Picture Books,
- Dimensions: 6 x 8
- Published On: 06/07/2022
- 152 Pages
Available June 7, 2022!
From beloved Indigenous icon Buffy Sainte-Marie comes a chapter book inspired by oral histories and traditions. On a prairie reserve, Tâpwê receives a mysterious gift from Kokhom (grandma)—and finds himself on an unforgettable adventure.
Tâpwê can’t wait to spend a week with his cousins on the other side of the Cree reserve—especially since Kokhom, his grandma, has given him the most amazing gift: a Magic Hat with bluebirds and grass snakes that come to life! Tâpwê is so excited that he soon forgets Kokhom’s advice: Watch out for tricksters!
Tâpwê’s adventure is everything he imagined. He meets his cousins, takes part in a powwow, and sleeps in a tipi. But soon he’s reminded of Kokhom’s words. Is his new friend Wâpos leading him astray with mischief?
Tâpwê and the Magic Hat draws on a rich Indigenous tradition of storytelling and features:
- A memorable cast of characters from both imagination and legend.
- A glossary and pronunciation guide of Cree words used in the book.
- A note to parents and teachers from Buffy Sainte-Marie about trickster stories.
- An important message for young readers about being yourself, and learning to dance to the beat of your own heart.
- Features black and white illustrations throughout.
Buffy Sainte-Marie is a world-renowned and Academy Award-winning Cree singer-songwriter, activist, educator, and visual artist. Her picture books for kids include Hey LIttle Rockabye, illustrated by Ben Hodson,and (forthcoming) Still This Love Goes On And On, illustrated by Julie Flett.
Michelle Alynn Clement is an award-winning book designer and illustrator from Vancouver, BC.