The Blue Wonder
Why the Sea Glows, Fish Sing, and Other Astonishing Insights from the Ocean
- ISBN: 9781771646048
- Tags: Frauke Bagusche, Jamie McIntosh, Nature & Environment, Science,
- Dimensions: 5.5 x 8.5
- Published On: 06082021
- 272 Pages
Available on World Oceans Day—June 8, 2021!
An intimate account of the beauty, mystery, and amazing science of the ocean.
In The Blue Wonder, marine biologist and diver Frauke Bagusche brings readers on a fascinating and beautiful deep-sea dive into the ocean. Drawing on scientific discoveries and her own research, she uses photographs and playful prose to reveal:
- deep-sea reefs that glitter like glass
- fish that converse with each other by singing––loudly
- an octopus that imitates more than fifteen other animals
- the secret behind why the sea glows at night
- “weddings” that happen amongst the coral
- underwater “drugstores”
- and even fish that clean her own teeth!
Humans know more about the moon’s surface than we do about the ocean. There is so much to be discovered, under the sea. With the heart of a poet and the mind of a scientist, Frauke Bagusche re-awakens our love for the sea and ignites a desire to protect this vital habitat.
Dr. Frauke Bagusche is a marine biologist, who, with a colleague, founded TheBlueMind.org in 2018. Bagusche also works as a freelance lecturer and provides training on the subjects of plastic pollution in the oceans, the effects of climate change on marine ecosystems, and the overfishing of the oceans.